Lisbon aquarium: the best in the world
Oceanário, the Lisbon aquarium, has just been elected the best aquarium in the world by TripAdvisor’s users.
Located in the modern part of the city, the Oceanário is one of the main attractions in Lisbon, working since 1998, when it was open to the public of the International World Exibition. The city has kept it as one of the shrines for natural life in the Portuguese capital.
TripAdvisor’s list includes two north american aquariums in the podium: Georgia Aquarium, in Atlanta, and Monterey Bay Aquarium, in California.
Some numbers (from the official website):
- 8000 organisms, including animals and plants;
- 550 kg of food used per week;
- 75.000 pieces of artificial coral used in the central aquarium;
- 7 millions liters of sea water, divided by 30 aquariums;
- More than 200 water analysis done every day.
How to get to the Lisbon Aquarium
By bus: numbers 5, 25, 28, 44, 708, 750, 759, 782, 794.
By metro: red line, Oriente stadium and then 10 minutes walking from there.
Looking for a great Lisbon tour? Check our great tours.
You can check the full TripAdvisor list of the best aquariums in the world here.